Module: Managing and researching health care systems - a structured introduction for Master-level students
Health care systems are complex and usually not well understood. This course provides a structured introduction into how health care systems are organized, financed and regulated. Units will provide a general introduction into the framework and functions of health care systems, into coverage (of persons and benefits), into resource mobilization, pooling and allocation to third-party payers, purchasing and third party payer-provider relationships, regulation of health care providers as well as questions regarding the public-private mix. Well-known types of health care systems ("Bismarck", NHs etc.) will be presented and discussed. Participants should have a prior knowledge of health care and are expected to read and discuss the course material which will be made available here (PDF, 4,7 MB) after the first lecture.
|Titel||Type||SWS||LP (ETCS)||P, WP||Semester (WS/SS)|
|Managing and researching health care systems||Lecture||2||3||P||WS|
- Busse R, Saltman RB, Dubois H (2004): Organization and financing of social health insurance systems - current status and recent policy developments. In: Saltman RB, Busse R, Figueras J (eds.) Social health insurance systems in western Europe. Buckingham..
- Busse R, Figueras J, Robinson R, Jakubowski E (2007): Strategic Purchasing to Improve Health Systems Performance: Key Issues and International Trends. Healthcare Papers 8(Sp): 62-76
- Busse R, Schreyögg J, Gericke CA (2007): Analazing Changes in Health Financing Arrangements in High-Income Countries: A Comprehensive Framework Approach. Health, Nutrition and Population (HNP) Discussion Paper
|Date:||Friday 10.00 to 14.00 o'clock|
|Lecturer:||Prof. Dr. Reinhard Busse|
The topics of the 4-hour sessions are:
Students wishing to receive a graded certificate
Please choose a country (your own, one you have recently been to, are currently in or are about to go). Describe and analyse the health care system in that country along the following lines:
- Outline the organization, regulation and financing of health care. Please be sure to incorporate a discussion of the various actors, the various functions of health care systems (resource generation, pooling etc.) and on the public-private mix as discussed during the course.
- What, if any, major reforms have been introduced recently or are about to be introduced? What will be the likely effect on the population and the various actors?
- What, in your opinion, are the main problems currently facing the health care system? Are they appropriately addressed by current health care reforms?
Be sure to make good use of the material collected during the course (slides and reading material) as well as other material, especially that provided by the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.
Please aim at a length of approx. 3000-4000 words.
New deadline: 30.04.2013; submit to Dimitra Panteli